2nd Annual Bucks, Montgomery and Philadelphia County Regional Forensic Nursing Conference
Date: Friday May 12, 2017
Time: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (Registration starts at 7:30 am)
Place: Abington Jefferson Health, 1200 Old York Rd, Abington, PA 19001
We will be applying for CEUs for Registered Nurses and Social Workers.
- Cultural and medical considerations for transgender individuals during a medical-forensic exam
- Courtroom testimony techniques
- Trends in forensic serology and DNA technology
- Campus sexual assault
- Sexual Assault: The police Investigation Perspective
- Role of the forensic nurse coroner
- Best practices in SANE case review and peer review
- Dr. Rachel Levine, Physician General of Pennsylvania and Professor of Pediatrics and Psychiatry at the Penn State College of Medicine
- Ron Smith, forensic identification and investigation specialist
- Pennsylvania State Police Crime Lab
- Jonathan Kassa, Director of Higher Education for Allied Universal
- Detective Dave Bonaquisti, Warminster Police Department, Bucks County, PA
- Pamela Gay, RN, York County, PA Coroner
- Jana French, Nursing Director of Washington DC Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program and International Association of Forensic Nurses (IAFN) Board Member
7:30 am – 8:00 am: Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:00 am – 10:00 am: Courtroom Testimony
Ron Smith – Retired FBI investigator, has conducted extensive research on courtroom testimony techniques including interviewis with witnesses, judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys and, the most important people of all, “JURORS”, to determine what they believe, what they like and specifically what they don’t like from criminal justice witnesses.
10:00 am – 10:15 am: Break
10:15 am – 11:15 am: Campus Sexual Assault
Jonathan Kassa – Director of Higher Education, Allied University, specializing in campus security, will provide a comprehensive look at the climate of sexual assault and misconduct on college campuses, how state and federal legislation is addressing the issue, and the institutional response.
11:15 am – 12:45 pm: Sexual Assault Kit Evidence Analysis
Pennsylvania State Crime Lab: Serologist and DNA Scientist – These scientists will provide an understanding of proper and thorough evidence collection to support the integrity of subsequent laboratory analysis and the science behind it.
12:45 pm-1:30 pm: Lunch
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm: The Collaborative Role of the Forensic Nurse Coroner
Pamela Gay – Forensic Nurse Coroner, York County, PA will discuss the role of the forensic nurse as a nurse-coroner and how the coroner team works closely with hospital staff to preserve evidence while reaching out to families with compassion. The presenter will explain how one case involving the deaths of four members of an Amish community precipitated that collaboration.
2:30 pm – 3:30 pm: Cultural and Medical Considerations When Conducting a Medical/Forensic Exam for Transgender Individuals
Dr. Rachel Levine, Physician General of Pennsylvania and Professor of Pediatrics and Psychiatry at the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, will discuss the need for providers of forensic services to be culturally aware of trans-specific differences in order to provide a sensitive, comprehensive and competent medical/forensic examination.
3:30 pm – 3:45 pm: Break
3:45 pm -5:00 pm: SANE Case Review and Peer Review
Jana French, Nursing Director of Washington, D.C. Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program and IAFN Board member will offer an interactive discussion on best practices for SANE case and peer review.