NOVA (Network of Victim Assistance) is the comprehensive victim services organization in Bucks County. With a 46-year history, NOVA has expanded to include a continuum of prevention and direct services to prevent and address the needs of victims of sexual abuse and other serious crimes. NOVA is known across many disciplines and the community at large for its exceptional services and professionalism. As a mature and fiscally sound organization, establishing sustainability is key to our future success — serving all victims who need assistance, educating the community at large on violence prevention in our community, and providing top-ranked professional training.
Forensic Nurse Examiner
The Forensic Nurse Examiner (FNE) is a contracted position that will provide care to the sexual assault or intimate partner violence (IPV) victim in a timely, non-judgmental, dignified and compassionate manner. The forensic exam may include prophylaxis for pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections, written/electronic and photographic documentation, referrals for appropriate medical and psychological follow-up and participation in legal proceedings.
- Works collaboratively with hospital medical personnel, victim advocates, law enforcement, and prosecutors.
- Adheres to all administrative, clinical, and employment policies and procedures on file with the FNE program.
- Ability to perform emergent medical triage to determine if patient requires medical care prior to a forensic exam.
- Performs and accurately documents sexual assault and IPV medical forensic interviews.
- Performs and objectively documents a complete physical and forensic evidence collection exam.
- Provides testimony as a fact witness to any/all cases performed while contracted as a FNE. *Following employment/termination as a FNE with NOVA, the individual RN will be obligated to respond and coordinate with attorneys prior to and during the court process*
- Participates in professional development as determined by the FNE program, including 75% of all staff/case review meetings, conferences, and in-services.
- Forty-eight (48) minimum on-call hours per month, to include shared holiday and weekend coverage.
- Pay is $350 per exam, on call hourly rate and travel time included.
- Commitment to NOVA’s mission, values and vision.
- Registered Nurse with current license to practice in Pennsylvania.
- Must meet credentialing requirements as outlined in NOVA FNE Contract.
- Minimum one to two years nursing experience preferred; specialty experience in women’s health, emergency department or intensive care preferred with demonstrated autonomy and professional judgment in nursing practice.
- Completes SANE and IPV didactic training and preceptor/clinical experience requirements as
identified by the SANE program.
- Successful completion of recommended clinical components to minimally include:
- Conducting at least ten normal pelvic exams unless deemed competent by Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner or physician after fewer exams;
- Conducting at least 2 male genital exams or simulated exams;
- Shadowing an experienced FNE for one exam and being shadowed by an experienced FNE for at least two exams; prior experience may result in fewer training exams.
- Proficient use of all equipment.
- Consistent and reliable transportation.
- Must be able to arrive at designated hospital within one hour of receiving the request for services. Exception is Grandview Hospital where a one to two-hour response is acceptable depending on distance from primary residence.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
If you have these qualifications, are energetic, passionate about the mission of NOVA, enjoy a friendly team-oriented environment, we would like to hear from you! Please submit your application with a cover letter telling us why you are the person for this job, salary requirements, and your resume to email@example.com. Subject line: Forensic Nurse Examiner