Since 2001, PCAR and the National Sexual Violence Resource Center have officially observed April as National Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM).
“Observing SAAM throughout April each year is one way that advocates, survivors and members of our communities bring awareness to the issue of preventing sexual assault and rape” —-PCAR CEO Delilah Rumburg.
PCAR’s SAAM campaigns ,in conjunction with the work of the National SAAM campaign, have empowered many groups and individuals across the Commonwealth to make a difference in preventing sexual violence in our communities.
The color teal and teal awareness ribbon has been chosen to represent awareness about sexual violence nationwide.
Wear Teal Day in Bucks County – Friday, April 6, 2018
Teal is the color chosen to represent and raise awareness for sexual assault survivors. Please join us in wearing something teal to show your support for victims of sexual violence and for those working to end violence in our homes, communities, and nation.
Thank you for your support!
Sexual Assault Statistics:
- Every 2 minutes someone in the US is sexually assaulted.
- 1 in 4 girls will be sexually assaulted before age 18.
- 1 in 6 boys will be sexually assaulted before age 18.
- 1 in 6 women will be victims in their lifetime.
- 1 in 33 men will be victims in their lifetime.
- Each year there are about 213,000 victims of sexual assault .