Laws and public policy can have a profound effect on society and on crime victims. Some of NOVA’s responsibilities as a nonprofit in service to the community include learning about legislation, evaluating how it will affect victims and helping to amplify victims’ voices so that their concerns and needs are included when legislative and policy decisions are made. In keeping with NOVA’s mission, staff members and volunteers advocate for changes in public policy and legislation at the federal, state and local level to ensure that victims’ rights and needs are protected and that laws and systems that help to prevent and eliminate violence are improved.
NOVA Public Affairs Committee
NOVA’s Public Affairs Committee is made up of NOVA Board members, staff and community volunteers and works to:
- Identify, monitor and advocate for specific legislation related to victims’ rights and services, including funding initiatives.
- Communicate regularly with elected officials to educate them about the impact of legislation on victims’ rights.
- Collaborate with partners at the local, state and national levels to support policy initiatives and leverage advocacy opportunities.
- Alert and educate NOVA board, staff, volunteers and supporters and local community regarding advocacy opportunities and key funding issues.
- Provide testimony on policy and legislation.
Adding your voice is an important way that you can work to support victims. You can make sure that your elected officials know that you are interested in laws that affect victims and that you support the work of crime victim agencies like NOVA. Read more to find out about current legislation and policy activities so that you can connect with your elected official and share your knowledge with family, friends and other community partners. Together we can all work to support victims of crime and help make the community safer.
If you are interested in working on public affairs issues, please contact Julie Dugery, Coordinator of Volunteers and Community Outreach at 215-343-6543 ext. 6604 or by email at julieD@novabucks.org.
You can find your legislator here
Pennsylvania Legislation 2019
Here is a link to legislation that NOVA is monitoring in the 2017-18 Session.